This week’s host for the Way of Kings Read-a-long is Lisa at Over the Effing Rainbow. I’m still enjoying the book a ton and am excited to answer Lisa’s questions below.
1. Shallan’s determination pays off, but Jasnah Kholin seems to change her mind a bit suddenly, and when Shallan isn’t expecting her to. She mentions knowing of Shallan’s family… Do you think perhaps she knows more than she admits? Or is she really just a bit more soft-hearted than she lets on?
I really like Jasnah and think she’s very clever, so I’m hoping she knows something. I’m hoping she’ll turn out to be testing Shallan and that Shallan will decide not to steal the soul caster, because I really like Shallan too.
2. Yalb comes to the bargaining rescue as Shallan tries to buy books… Do you think there’s going to be a bigger part in events for him to play?
When I was reading, it didn’t occur to me that he might show up again. However, the scope of the events in this book seem very epic and I wouldn’t be surprised if everything turns out to be more connected than it first appears.
3. Part One ends with a ray of hope for Kaladin, as he rediscovers a sense of purpose… What did you think of the scene in the Honour Chasm, and then with Gaz afterward?
I’m so glad he’s pulling himself back together! It’s much happier to read about a character with some sense of agency. I’m excited to see where this goes.
4. We catch up with Szeth for an interlude, and things are very different for him… What do you make of his choice to enslave himself – if it is in fact a choice…?
I would love to know what he did that was so bad that his society punished him with slavery. I do think he’s going to have a larger role to play in the story to come.
5. We also meet Dalinar Kholin, Jasnah’s father, and get something of a hint that he’s important where the Radiants are concerned… What do you think Dalinar’s ‘fits’ might mean?
I’m wondering if this ties into my theory that Kaladin is one of the characters from the prologue reincarnated. Perhaps Dalinar is too and his visions are related to scenes from his past life. I can’t wait to find out!