I’ve been having a little trouble keeping up on this read-along because my ipod has started skipping at one spot in the audio. I’ve re-downloaded the audio and not fixed it, so if anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated! In the mean time, I’m just listening on my computer.
1. Both Kabsal and Jasnah have spoken to Shallan about stealing the Soulcaster, and both have done so in a pretty lighthearted manner, considering how serious it would actually be to steal it. Do you think Kabsal was telling the truth when he brushed off Shallan’s questions about his plan to steal the Soulcaster? Is he still interested in stealing it? Does he have other, deeper motives??
I’m not sure. Kabsal seems to really like Shallan, so it’s possible he’s really there for the soulcaster and really wouldn’t have asked her about it. I do think he must have some ulterior motive for sticking around Jasnah for so long. I suppose he could be a spy for the king, since he’s shown up in that story too, but I think it’s most likely he was telling Shallan the truth.
2. By the end of the section, Shallan has found out that she’ll be able to return home in one week, but she’s torn between wanting to continue her studies, and being able to take the stolen Soulcaster home. So far it looks like her theft hasn’t been detected, but do you think she’ll be found out before that time? Do you think she should leave, or might decide on her own to stay? Could something else happen to make her stay?
I think Jasnah must know her Soulcaster is missing already, given how often she seems to use it. I’m still hoping Shallan will return the Soulcaster, find some other solution for her family, and stay to learn, mostly because she seems to be enjoying it so much. I think for her to stay, she’d have to find a solution for her family’s problems no matter what else happens.
3. How much do you think Jasnah actually knows about the theft of her Soulcaster? Is it even remotely possible that Jasnah is still in the dark about it? If she knows, did she in fact dupe Shallan with a fake, as Shallan theorizes? Or did Jasnah let her steal it? Why??
I don’t think there’s any way Jasnah doesn’t know her Soulcaster has been taken. It’s possible she’s testing Shallan. I think it’s more likely that Shallan is just unable to use the Soulcaster then that Jasnah gave her a fake though. It sounds to me as though someone can get to know a Soulcaster after using it more, so perhaps it will just take Shallan time. Perhaps Jasnah wants to see what Shallan will do? Or if she can figure out how to use is?
4. During the Highstorm, Kaladin experiences a lull during which the wind and rain stop, he feels no more pain, and he sees an enormous “face of blackness, yet faintly traced in the dark”. The face is described as, “Inhuman. Smiling.” Was Kaladin just hallucinating? If not, do you think this being had something to do with recharging the sphere? With Kaladin somehow feeling better before the storm kicked up again? Or could this being be malevolent? Thoughts/theories??
This is a great question, but I’ve got no idea. I don’t think he was just hallucinating – that would be too irrelevant to the story to spend time on – but I’m not sure what other explanation there is. I think the storm simply recharged the sphere and Kaladin took power from the storm as well.
5. Before Kaladin is forced to endure the Highstorm, he tells his men to come out after the storm is over; he says he’ll open his eyes and look back at them, and they’ll know that he survived. Kaladin obviously survives, and everyone in Bridge Four is really glad about that. But we haven’t yet seen a reaction from anyone other than Kal’s men. Do you think Kaladin’s survival could have a wider impact than just giving his own group of bridgemen hope?
I think Kaladin’s story will eventually intersect with Dalinar’s (I hope so anyway!) and he’ll have a large role to play in the entire epic story. I’m hoping that his survival will lead to him finding out about his ability to use stormlight. Other than that, I’m not sure that the actual event of his survival will have any other effect.
6. We learn quite a bit about Teft in this section… kind of. But pretty much everything we learn just leads to more questions. What do you think about these “Envisagers” Teft mentions? How much do you think Teft knows about Kaladin’s ability to use Stormlight? It seemed like Teft became wary of Kaladin after he recovered – why? Do you think he’ll tell Kaladin about what he knows?
I’m not sure who the Envisagers are, but it seems as though they might have been a group devoted to protecting, hunting, helping… people with abilities like Kaladin’s. I think Teft might have become wary of Kaladin because he has some idea of his powers, perhaps is even aware they can be weaponized as in Zeth’s case. I hope once he gets an opportunity he’ll tell Kaladin what he knows, but I think it’s possible that what actually happens will be more complicated.