Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Today, we’re wrapping up our Nonfiction November book club discussion. Again, I know this is a long one, so I’ll leave the discussion link-up open until Dec 15th. Once again, I’ll give you just the questions and then the questions with my answers so you can choose to ignore my answers until you’ve written your own if you like.
- What did you think of Kanner and Rimland’s biases? Did you find Rimland’s biases more forgivable?
- What role do you think parents and patients should play in medical research?
- What role do you think the media plays and should play in medical research? In particular, were you surprised by the impact the movie Rain Man had on the perception of autism? Overall, do you think the movie had a positive or negative effect?
- Should we use the phrase “people with autism” or “autistic person” or some other phrasing?
- Is there any other reading you’d recommend for learning more about autism?
My answers and a link-up for sharing your answers are below. Read more »