I know this is a little late to announce a challenge, but I will be hosting a nonfiction reading challenge in 2019. I mostly want to provide a place for you to share your nonfiction goals and to chat with other nonfiction readers. To make that possible, we’ll have three twitter chats throughout the year, plus optional email reminders. Goals will be flexible and up to you. Sign-ups will be open through January 30th.
Rather than suggest particular levels for this challenge, I’ve got a couple of ideas for different nonfiction reading goals you could set for yourself.
- Read X nonfiction books
- Read X% nonfiction
- Read nonfiction in certain categories – I’ve put together checklists for reading diversely and for reading one book for each century in the Dewey Decimal system, or you could make your own
- Read X books from a list, such as buzzfeed’s important nonfiction you should be reading, the winners of the Pulitzer Prize for nonfiction, or any of these goodreads lists
Let me know if there are other types of goals you’d suggest and I’ll add them to the list.
If you share a sign-up post in the link-up below by Jan 30th, you’ll get one entry in a giveaway at the end of the year just for signing up.
And anyone who has signed up here, will also get one giveaway entry for every nonfiction review they share in my weekly Nonfiction Friday link-up. (Edited after actually dealing with the logistics from last year! Next year, the giveaway will just include the entry for signing up). The giveaway will include several of my favorite nonfiction books I read in 2019. Look for an announcement of the 2018 winner on Dec 31st!
I’ll be hosting three twitter chats for participants to get to know each other throughout the year. They will be
- Feb 3rd at 1pm EST/10am PST – Introductions, how you’re planning your challenge, what books you’re most excited to read, etc
- June 16th at 1pm EST/10am PST – check in, how’s your challenge going, favorite book read so far, any changes to your plans, etc
- Dec 15th at 1pm EST/10am PST – wrap-up, how did it go, favorite books read, any changes in how you feel about nonfiction, etc
Dates are subject to change as we get closer, but I’ll be sure to send out reminders.
I’ll send out about five emails throughout the year, with twitter chat reminders and some featured reviews. I’ll start by e-mailing everyone who signs up, but just let me know if you don’t want to get updates and I’ll remove you from the list.
Link-up your sign-up posts here! Let us know that you’ll be joining in and what kind of reading goals you’re setting for yourself. Sign-ups are open through Jan 30th.